Family Focus (FF5) – Contentment
Jo created and led this bible study for family devotions on Monday 6th July 2020:
Key verse: 1 Timothy 6:6
‘Godliness with contentment is great gain’
- The key to our growth spiritually
- And the key to being satisfied in life is:
- To honour God
- And to make God the centre of our desires:
‘Seek the kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need’ (Matthew 6:33)
That’s the godliness and then
- we need to be content with what God is doing in our lives:
‘Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.’ (Philippians 4:11-13)
- The world’s idea of happiness is:
- Getting what we want
- And the world tells us that we need:
- Bigger & better cars, computers & other stuff
- Bigger & better than what we already have.
- God’s idea of happiness:
- Is being happy with what we have
Video: Douglas Talks – Contentment – The Lord provides!:
- If you focus on what you don’t have, you’ll be unhappy
- But when you appreciate what you already have you will experience the joys of life:
‘ But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.’
- We actually have all we need to live a joyful life:
- We have Christ
- We have eternal life
- We are loved by our Heavenly Father
- Our Heavenly Father promised to supply all our needs
- What makes you discontent? What makes you content?
- How content are you with what God is doing in your life?
- How are you going to be content in all circumstances from now on? What are you going to do?
Sign up to Berry Bytes, and never miss out on a thing!