Family Focus – Monday 7th January 2019 Gems from Matthew 7 & Genesis 7 The Flood
Jo led this bible study on Monday 7th January 2019:
Song: Oceans (Where Feet may Fail) Hillsong UNITED
- Introduce Stones in basket
- Each person chooses one
- Each stone relates to:
- Judging others
- The Golden Rule
- Way to Heaven
- False Prophets
- We will cover the last stone with a video at the end
Bible Reading: Matthew 7
Discussion: Each person takes in turns on gem chosen
Video: The Wise man built his house upon the rock (Sandcastles Kingdoms)
Check in/ Thoughts: From Video
Bible Reading: Genesis 7
Noah as a type of Christ:
- Noah was a type of Christ in that he served as a sort of “second Adam;”
- Just as God had given Adam creation mandates to be fruitful and multiply so He gave Noah re-creation mandates. And both Noah & Adam were given instructions about food.
- Noah’s name meant “rest.” His father named him.
- Noah only brought rest in a typical sense when he walked off the Ark with his family to inhabit a typical new creation.
- But Christ, the greater Noah, gives rest to the souls of men and women (Matt. 11:25-30). Christ alone has secured the new creation through His death and resurrection.
- The Lord preserved mankind after the flood in order to fulfil His promise In Genesis 3:15 to send the “seed” of the woman to crush the head of the Serpent. He also preserved Noah on the Ark because the Redeemer was in his loins–so to speak (Luke 3:23, 35-37).
- Though the flood had been a judgment on the wickedness of the fallen world, it could never take that wickedness out of the hearts of men, only the saving work of Christ could do so.
- In short, the humanity of Christ was in the Ark in the line of Noah.
Question: Any thoughts on Genesis 7 – The Flood?
Jo uploaded this on Friday 8th February 2019
If you’re following us on Social Media, make sure you don’t miss out, by signing up to the BerryBunch Monthly Newsletter.
We love what we do, and hope you do too! If you’re enjoying our free resources, Buy Me A Coffee to help sustain this work.