Family Focus: Serenity Prayer
Jo led this bible study on Saturday 27th June 2020:
- Looking at the Serenity Prayer – full version
- Many people prayer this across the world
- People take from it what’s most personal and relevant to their life
- The Serenity Prayer is about surrendering control to God
- And trusting Him to be peace and order in a chaotic world
- It’s about relying on God for courage and strength
- And it calls us to take action to be better
- As we read this prayer & watch the video consider this question:
- What part of the prayer sticks out the most for you today and why?
- Basically, what’s most personal and relevant to your life?
Serenity Prayer: Read full version together, taking turns to read parts:
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; taking as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonable happy in this life and supremely happy with Him forever in the next
Popular pray, written by Reinhold Neibuhr (1892-1971), widely used in sermons, Sunday schools and studies, in 1940’s Alcoholics Anonymous used the first part as part of the 12 step programme, serenity prayer dates back to 1943, giving comfort to people during WW2, the serenity prayer is connected to many verses in the bible, Philippians 4:6-7 is considered the scripture that led up to the prayer. And you can gain a better understanding of the serenity prayer by reading the whole of the book of Phillippians. For now, let’s read:
Bible Reading: Philippians 4: 6-7
Video: Serenity Prayer from the Skitguys:
- Thoughts on video
- Question: What sticks out in this prayer & why?
- Draw around own hand
- Write ‘Surrender to His will’ on hand
- Decorate or cut out or leave as simple drawing
Pictures of drawings by the Berrybunch! All so different, very creative.
- Surrender to God
- Listen Holy Spirit
Written by Berry Bunch Jo